I want to take a moment to encourage businesses to share positive, fact-based, solutions-oriented information on their channels. The impact of recent headlines surrounding the Coronavirus is being felt throughout many industries and workspaces. Here are 5 ways you can share positivity and truth.
- Ensure information is fact-based. One resource that I’d like to point people to is the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Many articles are circulating with misleading information that causes apprehension surrounding the topic of the Coronavirus. Here is a link to the information surrounding COVID-19 Depending on your industry, it could be essential to watch for statements from government leaders such as the governor. The local department of health information can be found here
- Include positive, proactive language oriented around keeping people safe and doing our part. “We’re working together to prevent more people from getting sick by doing/ changing ____. We are proud to be a part of other businesses and entities that are working to help one another out until a resolution is found. In the meantime, ____. Messages can still be upbeat while also being sincere. These preventative measures are just that - preventative.
- Provide ulterior options. We are truly fortunate to be living in a time where virtual work options are available, online banking, grocery delivery, and other concepts. Encourage your audience to make safe decisions that are in the best interest of their family and the nature of their risk level.
- Encourage good habits. As always, practicing good hygiene such as washing hands, sanitizing places where people gather, and covering your mouth when coughing should be encouraged. Let’s be real, these are good to do any day of the year.
- Ensure your message is clear. Slow down. Have someone else review any statements that you plan to publish. This might be your social media team or an objective person at your place of work. Messages should be easy to understand, concise, and, again, factual. As a reminder, our team is here to assist in the reputation management responses of any nature topics you feel necessary to address.
- Continue posting various content. Content should promote confidence and continuance of business while also being sensitive to national occurrences. This can be a great opportunity to show your company’s values and connect with your audience. Get creative!
Let’s all do our part to encourage healthier communities and remain resilient through tough times. I believe small businesses are the heartbeat of America. We can play an active role in suppressing the spread of the virus while also helping families remain calm and maintain a positive outlook.